Before preparing this recipe, hang up your hamaca (hammock) in a cool shady spot. It will be necessary to rest a bit after enjoying this soul-food soup. read more
- 1 lb cleaned cow's stomach, cut into chunks (or substitute tripe)
- 1 lb cow's heel (the jelly adds flavor) See note
- 1 lb cow's white-bone (the marrow is also a flavor-adder)
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbs salt
- 2 cubes beef bouillon
- 1 3/4 quarts of water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery with leaves, diced
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1 plantain, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1/2 calabas (West Indian pumpkin) or Hubbard squash, cut in chunks
- 1 tsp sugar
- "just a touch" ground cumin freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Before preparing this recipe, hang up your hamaca (hammock) in a cool shady spot. It will be necessary to rest a bit after enjoying this soul-food soup.
In large kettle place cow meat, heel and bone with salt, freshly ground pepper in water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low and cook for 2 1/2 hours or until meat is soft. Strain and return stock to kettle. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium, and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Let rest for 10 minutes and serve.
Note: If heel not available, add enough bone to equal 2 lbs.