Did You Know
- In 1824, twelve year-old Willem Rasmijn found the first gold pieces at Rooi Fluit.
- 1908 was the first time soccer was played in Aruba.
- Fort Zoutman and Willem III tower are more than 200 years old.
- Aruba had its first touch of asphalt in 1929 - the first street to be asphalted was Nassaustraat (now known as Caya G.F. Croes).
- The first Hotel in Aruba opened its doors in 1934 - it was called the 'Hotel Caribe'.
- The Chapel of Alto Vista was built in 1750.
- Aruba has eight churches.
- The first time a cruise-ship docked in Aruba was in 1957.
- The first person to wear shoes in Aruba was a prominent businessman named Adriaan Laclé.
- The first radio station in Aruba went on the air on March 20th 1954: it was called Radio Kelkboom.
- On the 10th of May, 1941, the 'Antilla' was sunk in the vicinity of Malmok. It is now a popular diving site.
- The first airport in Aruba was called Dakota (after a former government aloe plantation). It was inaugurated on January 19,1935.
- Princess (later Queen) Beatrix Airport was completed in 1972 - it was paid for in a large part by what is now the European Community (then EEC).
back to Aruba News